The Department of Aeronautics is established under the Intergovernmental Agreement between France and Vietnam about space and aeronautical engineering signed on 12/11/2009. In the spirit of the Agreement, several Memorandum of Agreement are signed:
- Memorandum of Agreement between the French Ministry of Education, USTH and Airbus signed on 15/12/2016 about developing a training program of aeronautical engineering for USTH lecturers and students.
- Memorandum of Agreement between USTH, Vietnam Airlines and VAECO, signed on 15/12/2017 about establishing a training program of aeronautical engineering at USTH.
- Agreement about developing an aeronautical engineering training program in Vietnam signed on 15/8/2018 between USTH, Airbus, USTH Consortium and IAS Bricks; along with Memorandum of Agreement between USTH, Airbus and Ecole Nationale de l’Aviation Civile (ENAC)
Department of Aeronautics started recruiting students for the Bachelor of Aeronautical Engineering program in September, 2018.
About teaching staff, currently, the Department consists of 8 full-time lecturers, including 1 Associate Professor, 5 PhDs and 2 Masters from varied specialties. Additionally, aviation experts from French universities, institutes, and companies also join the training program to deliver specialized courses, with financial support of 1.55 million USD from Airbus Corporation.
About the facility, Department of Aeronautics receives massive investment in facilities to meet the quality demand of training. USTH has invested nearly 1 million USD to install modern equipment for practical training of students.
Furthermore, in the Bachelor training program, the students have the opportunities to do the summer internship and graduation internship at domestic aviation companies such as VAECO, Vietnam Airlines, Bamboo Airways, Aerospace Engineering Services Joint Stock Company (AESC), etc.
Department of Aeronautics also organizes the first semester of the Master in International Air Transport Operations Management (IATOM), based on the Agreement of training Master program with Ecole Nationale de l’Aviation Civile (ENAC). The students enrolling in this program will continue studying the second and third semester at ENAC, then do the internship at a domestic or foreign aviation company in the fourth semester.
With wide cooperation between domestic and international partners, as well as elaborately constructed training programs, the Bachelor of Aeronautical Engineering program is highly rated by domestic aviation companies, especially by the Civil Aviation Authority of Vietnam (CAAV).
- Airbus Corporation: Sponsor for the Bachelor of Aeronautical Engineering and Master IATOM program.
- Institut aéronautique et spatial – IAS: Regulating foreign lecturers, planning curriculum, and transferring content of Bachelor of Aeronautical Engineering program to Vietnamese lecturers.
- Ecole Nationale de l’Aviation Civile – ENAC: Agreement on organizing one semester of Master IATOM at USTH.
- Vietnam Airlines (VNA) / Vietnam Airlines Engineering Company – VAECO: Hosting students for internship, participating in bachelor admission council; sending staff to participate in the Master IATOM.
- Bamboo Airways: Hosting students for graduation internship.
- Aerospace Engineering Services Joint Stock Company – AESC: Memorandum of Understanding about cooperation, hosting interns, and other activities.