Pharmacy plays a vital role in safeguarding public health and well-being, making it a cornerstone of modern healthcare systems. Beyond the traditional role of dispensing medications, pharmacy serves as a crucial link between medical professionals and patients, ensuring the safe and effective use of medications. The field of pharmacy extends to pharmaceutical research and development, contributing to the creation of innovative drugs that combat diseases and improve quality of life. As healthcare evolves, the importance of pharmacy-related fields remains unwavering, as it continues to bridge the gap between science, medicine, and patient care, making a profound impact on global health outcomes.
The bachelor program in Pharmacy at USTH focuses on two career directions, including Clinical Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Industry with the aim to provide high-quality human resources for the pharmaceutical Vietnamese and international market. The duration of training is 5 years.
Table of Content
Upon the completion of the Pharmacy program, students will possess the abilities to do the following:
- Apply their knowledge of social, political, and legal dynamics along with their specialized knowledge in Pharmacy to effectively address and resolve issues within the pharmaceutical fields, aligning with societal demands.
- Apply the specialized knowledge in Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical management to actively engage in organizing and executing activities related to the development and production of raw materials, quality assurance of drugs and raw materials, storage, supply, and rational use of medications.
- Practice their profession ethically and legally, and adapt their practices to various situations while respecting diverse cultural values. Communicate effectively with patients, patient’s families, colleagues, medical personnel, and the community. Plan, organize, inform, make decisions, monitor, and evaluate activities within their professional field.
- Work independently, within teams, demonstrate creativity, and adapt to constantly changing working environments (both domestic and international).
2.ADVANTAGES OF THE PROGRAM
- 70% of the training program is taught in English, creating great conditions for students to enhance their English proficiency for communication and professional purposes.
- Providing students with a solid knowledge of drug discovery and development, drug information, drug therapeutic monitoring, drug supply, and pharmacy care.
- Equipping students with practical skills in vaccine production, biologics, bioequivalence research, and clinical trials.
- Through long hours of practice in labs, pharmaceutical manufacturers, pharmaceutical companies, and hospitals, students develop the ability to use basic and advanced equipment for drug discovery and development, pharmaceutical production, pharmacology, formulation, drug manufacturing, pharmaceutical industry, drug quality control, and drug therapeutic monitoring.
- Providing opportunities for internships at hospitals, healthcare institutions, pharmacy stores, pharmaceutical companies, and drug quality control institutes in Vietnam and abroad.
3.INTERNSHIP IN THE 9TH AND 10TH SEMESTER IN THE 5TH YEAR
USTH places an important focus on internships to empower students to transition seamlessly from classroom theories to real-world practice, enabling them to emerge as competent and confident professionals in the pharmaceutical field.
IN THE 9TH SEMESTER
|Number of ECTS
|Number of ECTS
|Internship at hospitals: 12-week internship at pharmacy departments at one of the partner healthcare facilities.
Lecturers will be assigned to supervise and support students during their internship.
|Internship at drug production companies: 6-week internship at raw materials and drug manufacturing companies that have signed MOUs with USTH.
|Internship at pharmacy stores: 4-week internship at pharmacy stories that have signed MOUs with USTH.
|Internship at Quality Control/Quality Assurance unit/ departments: 8-week internship at quality control or quality assurance departments of manufacturing companies or in testing labs at pharmaceutical testing institutes that have signed MOUs with USTH.
|Internship at Drug Research and Development departments: 4-week internship at research and development departments of manufacturing companies or pharmaceutical research and development institutes that have signed MOUs with USTH.
IN THE 10TH SEMESTER
Students will take 4-6 month internships (equivalent to 18 to 26 weeks) with the two orientations. Students will be supervised and supported by USTH lecturers during their internship to ensure that they can successfully complete a specific project and meet the graduation requirements. The total credits of the internship is 18 ECTS.
|Research institutes, healthcare institutions, pharmaceutical companies, and laboratories within educational and research institutions.
|Healthcare institutions, pharmaceutical companies, non-governmental organizations (NGOs), manufacturing companies.
|Provide opportunities for students to engage in practical research activities and apply methods of analysis and data processing.
|Provide opportunities for students to experience and learn how to adapt to a real working environment so that they can confidently enter the job market upon graduation.
|Students complete an internship report, in which the focus is on presenting the analytical results derived from their research activities.
|Students complete an internship report, in which presents the insights gained from their working experience.
4. JOB OPPORTUNITIES
Upon graduation, students can pursue various career options in the pharmaceutical field. Below are some top professions:
– Clinical Pharmacy:
- Community Pharmacist (Registered Pharmacy Business)
- Hospital Pharmacist
- Clinical Research Specialist (Clinical Trials, Biologics Equivalence…)
- Lecturers and researchers at educational institutions
– Pharmaceutical Industry:
- Management of pharmaceutical, cosmetic, dietary supplement, and vaccine production lines
- Research and development specialist, testing, quality control, and assurance of pharmaceuticals, cosmetics, dietary supplements, vaccines
- Founding startups
- Researchers at pharmaceutical research institutes, universities
– Pharmacy Management:
- Managerial officers, specialists, experts in governmental and non-governmental specialized agencies
- Medical representatives for pharmaceutical companies
- Drug registration specialist
– About the training program:
Department of Life Sciences (LS)
Tel: (+84-24) 3212 1576
Add: Room 307, 3rd floor, A21 building, University of Science and Technology of Hanoi
– About Admission:
Department of Academic Affairs (DAA)
Tel: ( + 84-24) 7772 7748
Add: Room 102, 1st floor, A21 building, University of Science and Technology of Hanoi