In order to assess students’ English ability for the training classification (3 years/4 years) and suitable class placement, University of Science and Technology of Hanoi organizes an English Placement test for 12th generation students.
Table of Content
1. Test takers
All 12th generation students will be required to take this test, except for students who already have IELTS 4.0 or higher or TOEFL iBT 31 points or higher in the validity periods.
Students, who have IELTS 4.0 or higher (or TOEFL iBT 31 or higher) in the validity time, can be still entitled to participate in the test to be placed in a higher level class.
2. Conditions for exemption from Placement test
Students are exempted from taking the test when they meet the following conditions: Have an IELTS English Certificate of 4.0 or higher (TOEFL iBT 31 points or higher) within 2 years and 3 months from the date of the test.
Other cases will be considered and decided by the School Admission Committee.
3. Training classification based on test results
Based on the test results, students are assigned to the suitable training classification and class according to their English level.
- Students whose test results are below IELTS 4.0 will be decided to take the 4-year training program.
- Students with test results that are equivalent to IELTS 4.0-4.5 are required to attend a summer English class or an intensive English class B1 before being accepted into the 3-year training program.
- Students whose test results are equivalent to IELTS 5.0 or higher are considered to take the 3-year training program and are exempted from taking the summer English class or the B1 intensive English class before entering the first year.
4. Test schedule and result announcement
Time of the first placement test: 14/07/2021.
Students attending the test at the University should be in the test room on time to receive instructions before the test (specific time stated in the Exam Notice email).
Students participating in the online test should log in Zoom and Moodle accounts to receive information about the test’s procedures and regulations 15 minutes before the exam (the IDs, passwords and specific time are stated in the Exam Notice email).
Students attending the test must bring: one of their photo identifications (ID card, citizen identification, passport, driving license). Students participating in the online test will be verified in the appropriate form (To be announced later).
Announcement of test results: Students will be notified of the test results within 5 days after the test together with a notice of registration for the summer English class.
5. Test Format
The English language proficiency test has the same structure as the IELTS test:
- 04 skills: Listening, Speaking, Reading and Writing.
- Total time for the three skills Listening, Reading and Writing: about 150 minutes.
- Time for Speaking test: 11-15 minutes/examinee.
Here are sample test questions (note that Reading and Writing skills are only tested in Academic format).
6. Test Location
The Placement test was held at the University of Science and Technology of Hanoi (Building A21, Vietnam Academy of Science and Technology, 18B Hoang Quoc Viet Rd.).
For more information, please contact at the following information during office hours:
- Department of Academic Affairs, University of Science and Technology of Hanoi
Tel: 024 37917748/ 0888557748
- Foreign Language Center, University of Science and Technology of Hanoi
Ms. Ta Thuy Hang (English Program – Training Assistant)
Tel: 024 37918527